Tuesday, January 18, 2005

an odd sort of trip in an odd sort of a place...

Well there folks, seems we made it out here in the african yonder...

And what a bizarre trip it's been too! Through London as Tiara has
begun to chat about - where we had a fantastic time there with our
resident tour guide and super friend Jodie - looking beautiful way out
there through the smog and what light was admitted into the narrow
street-ways. We caught a plane from there out to Tunis and the
craziness that seems to be rife in this country began.

I wasn't particularly surprised to find the military at the airport
with cigarettes held loosly in hand not quite concealing their
handguns. I was a little more surprised to find the women at the
bathrooms who wanted money for the priveledge of using the stalls -
clean though I'll admit they were -. And at the same time, one of the
strangest and most exhasting things about the place was the whole
conversing in french thing. That and hearing the inaccessible arabic
swirl around - an inpenetrable haze of words that I can't wait to
learn to clarity. I'll go on more about this later...

Tunis! It's a big city. A sprawling city of concrete steel and
masonry that extends in all directions, I am still at the delight
stage. I delight in its stench - something like stale fish and the
sea - I delight in the weird network of streets and avenues that weave
their way about like the web of an industrious spider tripped out on
some powerful chemical soup - I delight in the open air markets and
cacophony that is everywhere around. It is a strange and enticing
world that we have taken up residence in.

Anyhow, that's about it for now. More to follow - I still need to
make those critical "I'm alive" phonecalls to the family...

1 Comments:

At 3:59 a.m., Blogger Dunctonsteel said...

Thoroughly engrossed! Of course I had imagined that such would be the case. I can only think from a distance of such adventures. It itches. In Edmonton, you are missed but, while there may be similarities, there are really no comparisons. It was great having you (and by that, of course, I mean the both of you) here for the time that you were able and willing.

I've passed through another bout of some nasty viral infection-passed through luckily. Two weeks until LA, so better now than then for sure. What news? Lois Hole passed away, courses are crazy, lots of music a possiblity in the future-joined another choir...life is fulfilling and Dawn and are still excellent with one another.

The other day, I went for slurpee-reached halfway and turned back due to the cold-I actually shied away (well it was -40-->-50 maybe with windchill; gone are crazy days of Ultimate and slurpees in the bitterest of colds.

Learning more music, watching the occasional movie; saw the Incredibles with Dawn; thoroughly enjoyed myself and I'm sure she did as well. But that's pretty much my life...perhaps not quite as exciting as yours. Next time I'll write in French perhaps; that would be good for me to keep up too!

Enjoy your continuous adventure; I enjoy your posts and I look forward to more scrumptious details. My thoughts with you and Tiara (take some of my cold too maybe?),

Haben sie immer viel glück und Späße,
(Always lots of happiness and fun-had to write something in German:D)

To both of your continual well-beings,

Your bro,

Nathan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home