Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Noisy Bugs

Brief impressions...

As anyone, in the Okanagan or otherwhere warm climes, who has heard them will attest, Cicadas are bizarre critters. Somehow in the noise and dust and construction and garbage that haunts every inch of Tunis, their rhythmic humming seems even more foreign.

The first time I actually identified what it was, I had to double-take and make sure it wasn't just a short-circuiting street-lamp. I stood there, transfixed in the evening's pooling light, staring until I could make out the little brown body on the steel post.

Since then, I've been finding them everywhere. On an overhanging fig tree, on a scraggly bush (perched above garbage tubs - that smelled most sentimental), they give new meaning to the urban jungle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home