Friday, May 13, 2005

Look What's Following Me!

I was in the gym today with Loren working on arms and shoulders. I didn't feel like working out, but after a while I started to get into the rythym of exercise and I slipped into that "workout mind-space" where you don't notice that you don't want to. It's sort of like being on automatic pilot, except you're working really hard.

I reached for a set of dumbells for the next set of shoulder exercises and a movement caught my eye. Something very small and green, like the floor, jumped.

It was a frog.

What's with all the frogs? I can't say.

And who has ever heard of a frog in a gym?

Loren and I were the only two people in the gym and I pulled him over so he could watch it hop behind the weight rack, under the rows of weights and out into the open. We couldn't just let it hop around in the gym, and now that I am an experienced frog catcher, the job was up to me.

I think it realized that we were going to try to grab it, because the frequency of its hopping increased and its accuracy and grace decreased. It hopped so hard that it consistently landed on its face. Loren nearly came undone in a fit of giggles. When I caught up to it, it stopped moving long enough for me to get my hands around it.

Catching frogs is harder out of water.

In the water, you are able to get your hands further around them and if they leap they fall back into the water. I barely managed to get a hold of it and stand up before it found a hole in my fingers and shoved its way through, leaping high into the air. I leapt after it and managed to catch it in mid air, safely back in my hands. We repeated this once more, before I was able to catch it with my fingers tightly together. Then I happily marched it out of the gym, and following Loren's instructions I released it near the bushes at the edge of the lawn. It took a moment to adjust and then high-tailed it into the plant life and away from us.

Then I washed my hands.

After all, frogs are sticky critters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home