Tuesday, February 01, 2005

music

Another short note...

As might be expected, in the arabic world we are likely to find at least a little arabic music on the radio. What we didn't expect to find was the wealth of good old indie music that is played straight up mainstream...

Granted there's nothing way out there, but we were definately surprised at the ecclectisism. To give you an idea, last night I heard Jefferson Airplane, followed by the Dears (out of Canada -yay!), something wonky out of the states (name eludes me) and the Cure - in that order.

Jodes, you'll be happy to know that I've also heard Massive Attack, Gus Gus, Royksopp (that one's for you too Hailey) and the DandyWarhols. All this on the popular radio station. Odd. I mean, it's no surprise to hear a little top twenty stuff - whether arabic, rock, pop or r&b, but to hear that less poppish other stuff mixed in with it as though it belongs is just a little bit trippy.

It leads to weird instances, like yesterday seeing a newer car parked up on the curb in front of a gawdy stall in front of the Medina. And not so much seeing the car as seeing the aged Tunisian fellow who's in it, who's missing a few teeth but otherwise happy, and hearing Tom Jones crooning out Sex Bomb from the radio.

Warped.

3 Comments:

At 8:44 a.m., Blogger Loren said...

I tried to post this message remotely twice, and eventually gave up and did a manual post. So, if it shows up three times all of a sudden, you'll know why...

 
At 11:18 a.m., Blogger Lightfooted said...

Tee hee hee! Love the eclecticism! Sure beats the soulless pop music that they play here incessantly - walk into any grocery (nicery) store and you're bound to hear "lick my neck, my back, my pussy and my c**ck" Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Good post Loren - I am enjoying the images you and Tiara re-create for us.

much love,
Jodie

 
At 10:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear Loren+Tiara
printed all your stuff,will reply ASAP
Love Rita!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home