Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Blues and Gospel to the Arab world...

Somewhere along the lines recently, I decided that it might be fun to include music and true american culture in the closing classes of my english class...

This could be a bit of a culture shock, but they actually did seem to show an interest and so I'm diving right in. The particularly bizarre part is where I explain both that I'm an atheist and that the tunes I'll be playing for them are gospel, its derivatives (bluegrass - Alisson Krauss managed to sneak in there, but it's a great tune, man) which are deeply catholic... I suppose I am in Tunisia on the northern tip of Africa, but it's a sahara's passage (not the nicest of trips) away from black africa, and relatively homogeneously arab/muslim.

I thought for a while of throwing in Leonard Cohen's Halleluia, just to really mess with them, but that seemed a touch cruel, and besides, I couldn't find the album. Later, eh?

Anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes. The conversation is sure to be interesting in any case...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home