Thursday, April 14, 2005

a moment...

Today I saw a little boy standing outside of our appartment bloc. He must have been all of six years old, if that. He had a tiny backpack, he stood maybe two and a half feet high, and he was leaning back on his heels looking up at the apartments.

Strange. For a moment I looked at him, freckled pale face, curly red hair, blocky stature, and he seemed as foreign to this place as me. He called out, then, "mom!" Insistent as only a little kid can be - voice laced with indignation, demand, pleading and frustration all at once. I paused at the bottom of the stairs...

A string of unintelligible arabic followed. What a crazy little world. I hadn't really expected any different, but for some unknown reason I had hoped.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 p.m., Blogger Dunctonsteel said...

I have a moment of thought as well:

I was running today and then I took a break-which of course I rarely ever do-but then I did...here's a bit of my story.

I saw a blade of grass today. It was speckled.

Sun poured down,
Warmth on a warm day,
Trees vibrant,
A shimmer of morning light passing through leaves;
The earth's smell and life living.

There was the grass as I sat and closed my eyes.
There was nothing as I listened to the air.

There was not even a void to fill,
A conundrum, a puzzle now; but nothing then.

And so I assembled my void of plenty,
My empty room full of things;

Sun continued to warm my backside,
Suddenly it was time to open the eyes.

And there was a piece of grass,
So vexing that I intently bent down to look.
I picked it and turned it around.

Brown spots covered it in balanced symmetry;
How could this be? Where was the logic in this decay?
And still the blade was sturdy-where was the power in this biology
devoid of water?

So I contemplated and found no solution but still many more questions.

 
At 7:13 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Duncton, that was the most hilarious fucking thing I have ever read. I laughed so hard I actually felt the early signs of a heart attack. You do realize you will have to make some changes in your life pretty soon. Either that, or resign yourself to a life full of "backyard biology". Now, that was not meant sexually, but you're free to take it that way if it tickles you right. LOL.
Cheers,
MAJLO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home