Monday, May 23, 2005

Tyranny in the Office!

This may be my last posting for a short while, while all internet
privileges are revoked at enda. It is a long story. Apparently not
only are people surfing the internet during working hours (only
permitted during break hours) they are also downloading copious
amounts of information AND stealing each others work off the company
network (god only know why!) and working on it in their "spare time"
(even less comprehensible!).

As of today all internet was revoked. For some reason I can still
send emails, so I am attempting to send this to the blog over my
break. However even this feature may be disrupted in the future.

I do not know how they expect their researchers to do online research,
their grant writers to access online documents, their financiers to
publish financial results to the MIX Market (online rating agency).
I'm sure they'll sort it all out. Later.

On the up side, I took the morning off to meet with one of the world's
foremost experts in entrepreneurship for developing nations. He
happened to be in Tunis for a Women's Entrepreneur conference, and I
emailed him to ask if he had time to meet. He was very enthusiastic
and made an appointment for Monday (today) at 8 am. I had to take a
taxi to Gammarth (8 Dinars!) where he bought two coffee and we talked
about entrepreneurship. If you're interested, he is the Executive
Director of the Beyster Institute. You can check it out online at
www.beysterinstitute.org It mostly talks about their in-country
programs on the site, but I can assure you they have a comprehensive
development focus.

It was a fascinating talk and he (Dr. Smilor) requested that I send
him my information so that he could keep in contact. He also
suggested a document to read (which I will!) produced by the UNDP
(United Nations Development Project). What a very exciting morning.
Almost enough to keep me smiling through they tyranny in the office.
Almost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home