Friday, June 03, 2005

Working Stiff

Hello all!

So today I am the only person in my office. There are others in the
building, to be sure, but of the six people who are supposed to be
studiously at their desks, I am the only one. The co-directors are in
Morocco preparing a regional conference for November.

How does that expression go? When the cats are away...

I told Loren this would happen, at least I figured it would since it
happened last time they were away for a Friday. He said he would show
up after lunch and take me to the beach. Jodie and Shelley, who are
visiting, seemed inclined to agree.

I don't know about you folks, but I just can't play hooky. I could in
University when it was my money paying for the classes, and even then
it was hard if the teacher was good. But at work, someone is paying
for me to be there and work. I realize that a lot of people can just
let that slide, somehow, but the guilt eats me.

Most of you have probably heard that this is a challenging work
environment. The only way I can cope with it is to know that I'm
doing a good job, regardless of what others think or say. Knowing
that I do a good job is protection against feeling anxiety, fear or
guilt. When someone comes in with accusations and you actually are
guilty, it can really hurt. But if you're not, it doesn't have to
bother you at all; they're just wrong. At least that's how it goes in
my world.

Loren got it straight away, and said no problem and he'd see me in the
evening. I'm glad he gets it too! It's always nice to have people
support you when you need it. So I'll finish reading the Impact Study
and working on the Strategic Plan (a new one!) in my office on my own.

The up-side is I get the air conditioner to myself ;)

1 Comments:

At 7:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiara, I am proud of you! What you do when no one is watching... is what really defines who you are!

Love Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home