Monday, February 28, 2005

Dougga and back on track...

Hey there all, just thought I'd follow up that last rather pessimistic email with a little happier note.

This weekend Tiara and I headed out with Wifak, Slim and a special guest of ENDA (the place where Tiara's working) Jean-Puis. I hope I got the spelling right, in any case he works for the MixMarket - www.mixmarket.org - a big microfinance deal. We were headed for the old Roman Ruins of Dougga, apparently once the grainery of the Roman Empire. It was two hours out of Tunis - almost all the way across the country, I don't think I'll ever get used to that - and up in the mountains/hills. Actually, the whole area was gorgeous and reminded Tiara and me of the Fraser Valley back home in BC.

We got there, paid a nominal fee to enter the heritage site and take photos, and were basically let loose on it. Coming from Canada with it's "look, at a distance, and don't touch" culture around heritage, it was a little odd to go wandering around these ruins at our leasure, with no controls. Ruins that are from around 200 BC, if I remember right. Maybe it was 200 AD - whatever the case it was lots older than Canada, and than the English language, and than the Christian Bible...

We took a smattering of photos and will be uploading those shortly.

Did you catch that? We'll be uploading them SHORTLY!!! Yay! We have a computer we can use to download and upload our photos. It's exciting and fantastic.

It may take until Wednesday before we get a few pictures up, but not much longer.

Anyhow, I'm outta here as I have to eat or I'm going to waste away. Fresh bread, fresh fruit, milk, fresh cheese and fresh olives...

1 Comments:

At 11:22 a.m., Blogger Lightfooted said...

Oh wow! I can't wait to see pictures!

I'm checking your blog daily (even if I don't comment.) You two have amazing spirit. Keep telling yourself that. Keep working through the yucky "I want to go home NOW" feeling that we all get in the pit of our stomaches. Distract yourselves, create fantasies and projects. Find friends. Go out for a night of drinking. Keep friggin' positive even though that may seem the hardest thing to do (am I trying to convince myself of that today? I think so!)

All my love,
Jodie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home