Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Mysterious Mornings

After saturation you reach a strange balancing act, swinging from things that you love about the place to things that drive you crazy. There will be plenty of time to tell you about the things that drive me crazy, and I’m sure they’ll keep popping up as I settle in more and more. But I think I’ve figured one of the things I love the most about this place.

Every morning Loren and I get up early for the gym. It’s a 25 minute walk at a fast pace up and down two hills on the north end of Tunis in Ennasr 1 and Ennasr 2. To get to the gym in time to work out and catch a ride with our friends, we need to rise early, before the sun comes up, before people are out. The alarm goes off at ten to six and we have just enough presence of mind to turn it off and sit up on the bed so that we don’t fall asleep. It always takes a few minutes in the morning to get started, but before we manage to get our feet on the floor, the chanting of the Koran from the minaret of the Mosque in Ennasr 1.

It appears to come in through every window in the house, and it floats like a musical spell through our room. The lights are off and we simply sit and listen to the incantation. It is the most magical moment of my day and I feel warm, peaceful and awake. It only lasts a few minutes and then we rise and make coffee or tea before leaving for the gym.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 a.m., Blogger Lightfooted said...

It seems as if moments like that were created for your ears, your soul alone. What an incredibly spiritual way to wake up. Hold onto to them and do not let the repetition of it diminish any of its joy.

I am very proud of you two! Waking up so early, dragging yourself groggily to the gym and then, experiencing the exquisite pain of lifting weights before most people have even drowned their first cup of coffee. Fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home